‘Don’t ask about chicken, fridge’: DKS on Karnataka caste survey; asks officials to avoid personal queries | India News


'Don't ask about chicken, fridge': DKS on Karnataka caste survey; asks officials to avoid personal queries
Karnataka deputy chief minister D K Shivakumar

NEW DELHI: With just three days left for the exercise to conclude, Karnataka deputy chief minister D K Shivakumar said officials conducting the ongoing social and educational survey, commonly referred to as the caste census, have been advised not to ask questions that are “personal” in nature.Speaking to reporters Sunday, he stressed that citizens should not feel compelled to share private information while participating in the survey. “I have told officials not to ask people in Bengaluru about how many chicken, sheep and goat people are rearing, and how much gold they have. They are personal matters. There is no need to ask about how many watches or fridge they have. I have advised them that there is no need to ask such questions. I don’t know what they will do, because it is an independent commission,” said Shivakumar, as quoted by PTI.Addressing the objections surrounding the survey and its cost, he said, “Let any one raise any objection, it (survey) has to be done. Court has said that the survey is voluntary and people can answer what they want and not bother if they don’t want to answer any question,” he said, while urging citizens to participate.The survey, conducted by the Karnataka state commission for Backward Classes, began on September 22 and is scheduled to continue until October 7. Earlier delays in Greater Bengaluru occurred due to the formation of five new corporations and the need for training and preparations. Conducted at an estimated cost of Rs 420 crore, the survey uses a 60-question questionnaire.Shivakumar, who is also the minister in-charge of Bengaluru Development, on Saturday refused to answer some questions posed to him by survey enumerators at his home. He said there was “no meaning in opposing the survey,” noting that after objections to the previous survey, an opportunity is being provided for all citizens to participate.The Karnataka High Court last month declined to stop the survey but directed the State Backward Classes commission to maintain confidentiality of the data and ensure voluntary participation.





Source link

  • Related Posts

    Video: CCTV shows inmates attacking policemen, fleeing juvenile home; two Pakistani nationals among three | India News

    NEW DELHI: CCTV footage from a juvenile observation home in J&K’s R S Pura captured the dramatic moment three inmates including two Pakistani nationals, broke out after attacking armed guards,…

    Resignation twist: Bhupen Borah quits Congress, pauses decision, Himanta’s BJP offer follows — row explained | India News

    NEW DELHI: Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday invited former Assam Congress chief Bhupen Borah to join the BJP, hours after Borah submitted his resignation from the party,…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    en_USEnglish