Himachal tragedy: 18 dead as landslide strikes bus in Bilaspur; many missing | India News


Himachal tragedy: 18 dead as landslide strikes bus in Bilaspur; many missing
18 dead as landslide strikes bus in Bilaspur

KULLU: At least 18 people were killed after a massive landslide slammed into a private bus near Barthi village in Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh, around 100km from Shimla, on Tuesday evening. Many are missing and the rescue operation was on when this report was filed.The bus was carrying 30-35 passengers to Ghumarwin when the landslide struck around 6.30pm, said an official. Rocks and boulders crashed through the roof, crushing passengers to death in their seats. Debris completely enveloped the 42-seater vehicle.Bilaspur administration immediately dispatched a team to the site. Before police or rescue personnel arrived, however, local people rushed to the spot in large numbers and began digging through the mound of debris to reach survivors.The rescue team brought along a JCB to clear the debris. With the help of locals, police pulled out four survivors, three of them children. They have been admitted to a govt hospital in Barthi. None of the deceased had been identified till Tuesday night. Bilaspur ADC Om Kant Thakur and SP Sandeep Dhawal were supervising the search and rescue mission on the spot.It has been raining heavily in Himachal for the past two-three days and the landslide was triggered by a downpour, said an official.Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief over the tragedy. “Saddened by the loss of lives due to a mishap in Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh. My thoughts are with the affected people and their families during this difficult time. Praying for the speedy recovery of the injured,” a PMO statement said.An ex gratia of Rs 2 lakh from PM National Relief Fund will be given to the next of kin of each deceased, and the injured would be given Rs 50,000, it said.Chief minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu expressed sorrow over the accident and extended his condolences to the families. He said govt stood firmly with the affected families and would provide them with all possible assistance.Sukhu said he was in touch with the district administration and directed that relief and rescue operations be expedited.Nearly 470 people have died in Himachal in rain-related incidents since monsoon hit on June 20.





Source link

  • Related Posts

    Cong now wants MVA’s sole winnable Rajya Sabha seat for itself | India News

    Mumbai: A tussle is brewing within the MVA over the selection of a candidate for the lone Rajya Sabha seat which the alliance can win in the upcoming RS polls.…

    Bishnoi gang makes Rs10cr extortion call to Cong Akola MLA | India News

    Akola: Two back-to-back extortion threats, allegedly linked to Bishnoi gang, demanding Rs10 crore from Congress’s Akola MLA and Rs2 crore from a BJP leader in Akot have put the law…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    en_USEnglish