Hampi rape-murder case: Trio sentenced to death for raping Israeli tourist and her host, killing guide in Karnataka | Bengaluru News


Hampi rape-murder case: Trio sentenced to death for raping Israeli tourist and her host, killing guide in Karnataka

KOPPAL: A local court here has sentenced three men to death in connection with the gang rape of an Israeli tourist and an Indian woman, and the murder of a tourist from Odisha near Sanapura Lake in Gangavathi taluk on March 6 last year.The crime scene was about 25km from the Unesco World Heritage Site of Hampi. The incident had sparked widespread outrage. Observing that the crime fell under the “rarest of rare” category, the court held that prosecution had proven the guilt of the accused beyond a reasonable doubt.

All 3 convicts get death in Hampi rape-murder case

Israeli, Homestay Owner Assaulted, Odia Tourist Killed

Pronouncing the quantum of punishment, Judge Sadananda Nagappa Nayaka of the first additional district and sessions court awarded capital punishment to the three convicts – Mallesh alias Handimalla, 22, Sai alias Chaitanya Sai, 21, and Sharanappa alias Sharanabasavaraj, 30, from Sai Nagar, Gangavathi. The court had, on Feb 6, found the three accused guilty and reserved its order on sentencing. The Indian woman, 29, a homestay owner, was brutally assaulted, strangled and then gang-raped. The 27-year-old Israeli woman tourist was also gang-raped.Bibash Nayak, 26, a tour guide from Odisha who was accompanying the women, along with two other male tourists, was killed in the attack. The assailants robbed the survivors, stealing two mobile phones and Rs 9,500 in cash before fleeing the scene. According to police, the victims – two women and three men, who had met at a homestay near Hampi – were stargazing near Tungabhadra Left Bank Canal when the suspects, allegedly intoxicated, attacked them. Superintendent of police Ram L Arasiddi said: “Two of the accused were arrested within 24 hours of the crime. We had gathered 101 witnesses and 84 articles for DNA testing. It was a challenging and sensitive case.” Bibhash’s cousin thanks govt“We hail the court verdict. It was delivered in less than a year,” said Firoz Kumar Pradhan, a cousin of Bibash. “We thank Karnataka govt for taking the case seriously and police for filing the chargesheet and completing the probe quickly,” Firoz said. Bibhash Nayak, 29, was a travel enthusiast.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Why today’s match between Zimbabwe and Ireland is a make-or-break clash in the T20 World Cup | Cricket News

    Zimbabwe vs Ireland (PTI) The upcoming T20 World Cup Group B fixture between Zimbabwe and Ireland is far more than just another league game — it could decide Australia’s fate…

    Yunus mentions ‘Northeast’ in speech as he bows out

    Muhammad Yunus (File photo) On his last day as Bangladesh chief adviser, Muhammad Yunus on Monday claimed that the interim govt led by him has been able to firmly restore…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    en_USEnglish