‘Drop the items!’ Tense final warning before agents shot armed intruder at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort


'Drop the items!' Tense final warning before agents shot armed intruder at Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort

An armed man identified as Austin Tucker Martin, 21, was shot dead on Sunday after entering the inner security perimeter of US President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort early Sunday, authorities said, after law enforcement ordered him to “drop the items” he was carrying.The identification was confirmed by investigators, according to a person familiar with the matter who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.Trump was not at the Florida resort at the time of the incident. He and first Lady Melania Trump were in Washington, DC.According to the United States secret service, Martin was “observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can” at around 1.30 am. He was confronted by secret service agents and a deputy from the Palm Beach county sheriff’s Office and was fatally shot.Authorities said at a press conference that it is not yet known whether the shotgun was loaded, nor whether Martin was previously known to law enforcement. Officials also did not specify who fired the fatal shots. Officers instructed the armed intruder to “drop the items” before he was shot after breaching the property, authorities added. Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said Martin, believed to be from North Carolina, had been reported missing by his family days earlier. Investigators believe he travelled south, allegedly acquiring a shotgun en route. A gun box was recovered from his vehicle, according to AP.Officials said he drove through the north gate of the property as another vehicle was exiting and was immediately confronted by agents. Investigators are working to determine a motive and compile a psychological profile.The investigation into Sunday’s shooting is ongoing.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    After humiliating loss, Suryakumar Yadav promises: ‘We’ll come back stronger’ | Cricket News

    NEW DELHI: Indian captain Suryakumar Yadav vowed a stronger comeback after India suffered a crushing 76-run loss to South Africa in their Group 1 Super Eights clash of the ICC…

    Major 7.1 quake strikes off Malaysian coast

    Major 7.1 quake strikes off Malaysian coast Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    en_USEnglish