NEW DELHI: At least 10 people are feared dead after a massive cloudburst struck Chosoti, a remote village en route to the Machail Mata Yatra in Kishtwar district, officials said on Thursday. As per news agency PTI, the village is the last motorable settlement before the shrine.Following the incident, the annual yatra has been suspended, and authorities have mobilised all available resources for rescue and relief operations.
A team led by the sub-divisional magistrate of Paddar has reached the affected area, while deputy commissioner Pankaj Kumar Sharma and senior superintendent of police Naresh Singh are en route to supervise the rescue efforts.Lt Governor Manoj Sinha expressed condolences for the loss of lives and directed the Civil Administration, Police, Army, NDRF, and SDRF to strengthen rescue and relief operations. “Anguished by the cloudburst in Chositi, Kishtwar. Condolences to bereaved families and prayers for quick recovery of the injured. Directed officials to provide all possible assistance to those affected,” he said on X.Union minister Jitendra Singh also confirmed the incident, stating that the administration had immediately swung into action and rescue teams had been dispatched to the site.Authorities are currently assessing the damage and making arrangements for medical aid, relief, and further rescue operations in the affected region.(With agency inputs)





