Blue state crackdown: Trump authorises 300 National Guard troops to Chicago; ‘lawlessness plaguing US,’ claims White House


Blue state crackdown: Trump authorises 300 National Guard troops to Chicago; 'lawlessness plaguing US,' claims White House

US President Donald Trump on Saturday authorised the deployment of 300 National Guard troops to Chicago to protect federal officers and assets, White House confirmed.The MAGA leader took the step after weeks of threatening action, despite objections from local leaders.“President Trump has authorized 300 national guardsmen to protect federal officers and assets,” White House spokeswoman Abigail Jackson said. “President Trump will not turn a blind eye to the lawlessness plaguing American cities,” she added.

What triggered the decision?

The decision follows an incident earlier Saturday in Chicago, where a federal officer shot an allegedly armed motorist. According to the department of homeland security (DHS), law enforcement agents were “boxed in by 10 cars” and could not move their vehicles. “One of the drivers who rammed the law enforcement vehicle was armed with a semi-automatic weapon,” DHS assistant secretary Tricia McLaughlin said. “Law enforcement was forced to deploy their weapons and fire defensive shots at an armed US citizen,” she added.The motorist reportedly drove herself to the hospital to receive treatment for her wounds. McLaughlin also criticised Chicago police, accusing officers of “leaving the shooting scene” and refusing “to assist us in securing the area.” Chicago police responded that officers attended the scene but said the department “is not involved in the incident or its investigation. Federal authorities are investigating this shooting.

Federal judge temporarily halts Trump’s deployment

The deployment to Chicago comes as Trump escalates his controversial anti-crime and migration operations in Democratic-run cities. Portland, Oregon, was the focus of a separate legal challenge. On Saturday, a federal judge issued a temporary restraining order blocking the deployment of 200 National Guard troops to Portland.US District Judge Karin Immergut wrote that Trump’s determination to send troops to Portland “was simply untethered to the facts.” She said the city had seen attacks on federal officers and property, but these were not part of an organised effort to overthrow the government. Regular police could handle the incidents, she claimed. Portland and Chicago are the latest flashpoints in Trump’s national effort, marking another crackdown on Democratic-run states that has previously included deployments to Los Angeles and Washington.





Source link

  • Related Posts

    ‘Fan girl’ Nancy Pelosi believes Gavin Newsom make a ‘great president,’ reportedly Backs him for 2028 White House run: Report

    White House former Speaker of Nancy Pelosi is a “fan girl” of Gavin Newsom and set her sights on getting him in the White House, a report claimed.The 85-year-old, who…

    This 40,000-year-old Gibraltar cave shows how Neanderthals survived Europe’s Ice Age | World News

    This 40,000-year-old Gibraltar cave shows how Neanderthals survived Europe’s Ice Age (Image Source – Wikipedia) Neanderthals remained in southern Iberia far later than once thought, with evidence from Gorham’s Cave…

    प्रातिक्रिया दे

    आपका ईमेल पता प्रकाशित नहीं किया जाएगा. आवश्यक फ़ील्ड चिह्नित हैं *

    hi_INहिन्दी