‘Don’t ask about chicken, fridge’: DKS on Karnataka caste survey; asks officials to avoid personal queries | India News


'Don't ask about chicken, fridge': DKS on Karnataka caste survey; asks officials to avoid personal queries
Karnataka deputy chief minister D K Shivakumar

NEW DELHI: With just three days left for the exercise to conclude, Karnataka deputy chief minister D K Shivakumar said officials conducting the ongoing social and educational survey, commonly referred to as the caste census, have been advised not to ask questions that are “personal” in nature.Speaking to reporters Sunday, he stressed that citizens should not feel compelled to share private information while participating in the survey. “I have told officials not to ask people in Bengaluru about how many chicken, sheep and goat people are rearing, and how much gold they have. They are personal matters. There is no need to ask about how many watches or fridge they have. I have advised them that there is no need to ask such questions. I don’t know what they will do, because it is an independent commission,” said Shivakumar, as quoted by PTI.Addressing the objections surrounding the survey and its cost, he said, “Let any one raise any objection, it (survey) has to be done. Court has said that the survey is voluntary and people can answer what they want and not bother if they don’t want to answer any question,” he said, while urging citizens to participate.The survey, conducted by the Karnataka state commission for Backward Classes, began on September 22 and is scheduled to continue until October 7. Earlier delays in Greater Bengaluru occurred due to the formation of five new corporations and the need for training and preparations. Conducted at an estimated cost of Rs 420 crore, the survey uses a 60-question questionnaire.Shivakumar, who is also the minister in-charge of Bengaluru Development, on Saturday refused to answer some questions posed to him by survey enumerators at his home. He said there was “no meaning in opposing the survey,” noting that after objections to the previous survey, an opportunity is being provided for all citizens to participate.The Karnataka High Court last month declined to stop the survey but directed the State Backward Classes commission to maintain confidentiality of the data and ensure voluntary participation.





Source link

  • Related Posts

    Not all humans are equally frightening to wildlife, says new study | India News

    BENGALURU: Humans are often described as the world’s ultimate “super-predator” — a species that hunts, traps and fishes at scales far beyond any other animal. Wildlife biologists have long argued…

    ‘Accident or murder?’: Ajit Pawar’s son Rohit Pawar questions 20-day delay plane crash probe | India News

    NEW DELHI: Ajit Pawar’s son and Nationalist Congress Party SP MLA Rohit Pawar on Tuesday questioned the pace of the investigation into the plane crash that killed former Deputy Chief…

    प्रातिक्रिया दे

    आपका ईमेल पता प्रकाशित नहीं किया जाएगा. आवश्यक फ़ील्ड चिह्नित हैं *

    hi_INहिन्दी