Iran and the United States have reached an understanding on the main “guiding principles” during a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva, but significant work remains before any agreement can be finalised, Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araqchi said on Tuesday, according to Reuters. “The progress does not mean an agreement will be reached soon but the path has started,” Araqchi told Iranian media after the talks concluded.The negotiations took place amid heightened tensions in the Gulf. Just as the talks began, Iranian state media reported that parts of the Strait of Hormuz would be temporarily closed for a few hours due to “security precautions” while Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards conducted military drills. The strait is a key global oil transit route, through which roughly a fifth of the world’s crude supply passes. Tehran has previously warned it could shut the waterway to commercial shipping if attacked, a move that could disrupt global energy markets.The United States has deployed a battle force to the Middle East region to press Tehran to make concessions in the nuclear talks. US president Donald Trump has said “regime change” in Tehran may be the best outcome, while Iran’s supreme leader Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that any US attempts to depose his government would fail.According to a source briefed on the matter, US envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner participated in the Geneva discussions, which were mediated by Oman.While both sides indicated movement in the talks, officials made clear that no final deal is imminent, with negotiations expected to continue in the coming weeks.







